the little things

practical island styling
Okay, so as much as I love vintage, sometimes I find something new  and it is too perfect.  I actually scoured sites like ebay  and etsy as well as vintage shops for an owl cookie jar to distract me from the brand new one that I couldn't get out of my head.  No luck.  So, I gave in and got this one.  He stores treats for the kids (and the occasional blow pop for me) and he brings in colors from my dishes and the surrounding rooms.  He looks perfect with my yellow vintage tool tray which holds necessities like salt and pepper, napkins, candles, and any little extras that seem magnetically attracted to the island!  Pop some fresh flowers in a clear vase and the whole kitchen looks bright and inviting.


Island Storage and Display
The storage under the island presents unique opportunities, but also unique challenges.  YaY! That's my favorite kind of space!  This island needs to store items I regularly use.  However, it is wide open, so my 17 month old daughter views each item as an invitation :)  Also, this side of the island is highly visible from the living room, so it needs to function aesthetically as well.  My twelve year old son like to sit at the island and talk while I cook, so we needed a small chair of some kind as well.  I found this fabulous vintage green step stool which tucks nicely into the island, and is perfect for both seating and reaching the microwave.  The huge, 80-pound vintage scale is a find from a local vintage shop and was only about $40.  The high back of the scale conceals a stack of cooking magazines and a bowl of potatoes, both of which my daughter is welcome to tote around the house.  Storage bags and plastic wrap fit perfectly in a vintage tall, tin bucket on the other side of the mixer.

seasonal styling

At the end of the island, I've got a small mid-century black bedside dresser which faces the dining room.  For early spring, I've layered an oval enamel tray with a candle the color of the dining room, and yes, that is the little bit of tree trunk cut off the end of my christmas tree when I bought it in December.  Complementing the candle are two mason jars; one with a mossy display for spring a one filled with small paper speckled eggs. 

 I love the display and it blends with the dining room so well.  I'm sure I will enjoy it for a good six weeks, which is pretty much the life cycle of small details around here!  Hope you enjoy!

Pin It

Comments

  1. I'm so happy you are blogging! I saw the owl cookie jar at my local anthro and they had used it for a planter with the lid sitting right next to it on the table. It was so cute!

    Keep the post coming! I noticed a couple of my friends pinned your kitchen on pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the cookie jar with my birthday coupon from anthropologie. Totally worth it!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts