everyone ends up in the kitchen

the heart of the kitchen: the island
I am starting this blog to connect with friends and family across the country and share our home with you.  We are in the process of remodeling most of our downstairs, so you will see  some exposed beams and sawdust; we are doing most of the work ourselves with help from very talented friends, but it's going to take awhile.  I decided to start with the kitchen.  Our remodel was inspired by my desire to create a free flow between our living, dining, and kitchen spaces.  Our home was built in the 1930s and the rooms were choppy and isolated.  We took out some walls and WoW, our kitchen became the social center I was craving.  I love people gathering around the kitchen island while I prep and cook.  Most of the items in the kitchen come from the fun junk stores around town, and a few great flea market finds.

My philosophy is pretty simple.  If I like it and the price is right, I buy it and find a place for it.  One of my favorite pieces is my kitchen island.  It was a table a man was using to sell tools at a flea market. I got it for $10!  About 5 years later, I coated it with a pour on bar coating and pulled it in off the back porch.

old post pot rack


We don't have much storage so I decided to put hooks on an old column and hang pots. It one of my favorite features in our kitchen and really supports the vintage, eclectic feel of the space.
the lampshade light


When we moved into the house almost 3 years ago, it had the cheapest light fixtures in existence.  I didn't have any money to replace the fixture, so I took the ugly globe off the light over the sink and rigged an old lampshade with a clear bulb.  3 years later and I still love it!  


I hope you enjoy the pictures and maybe be inspired to find some new uses for some old things :)
Pin It

Comments

  1. I am so excited about your new blog. I love seeing old things being put into use in such a creative way. YEA Heather!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, thanks so much for your sweet comment!

      Delete
  2. Love it! I remember that table...I think I was with you when you bought it. I miss going to the flea market with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, yes, that was our first trip to the flea market. I miss going with you!!

      Delete
  3. Heather, the walls are no longer green and the cabinets are no longer black...how very different. Still absolutely lovely, no surprise there, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's super different! We miss you guys being in our kitchen ;)

      Delete
  4. Just found your home on Life Made Lovely's sidebar/Pinterest. LOVE it!!!
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elise! I'm so glad you like the kitchen :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts